Azo Dyes Testing – Fast, Accurate and Reliable
Eurofins | BLC offers UKAS accredited azo dyes testing at our UKAS accredited laboratory; we are one of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe and can provide azo dyes testing results within 3-5 working days. We are in a unique position, with over 95 years’ experience of leather and related products, to identify the compounds that are likely to be present in materials tested, where they may originate and the likelihood of false positive results.
What are azo dyes?
Azo dyes are the major colourants used in the textile industry, allowing for a large spectrum of colours and increased colour fastness. They are a large group of synthetic organic dyes that contain Nitrogen as the azo group. Azo dyes are widely used in substrates such as textile fibres, leathers, plastics, papers, hair mineral oils, waxes, foodstuffs and cosmetics
Why carry out azo dyes testing?
Some Azo dyes are considered a risk to human health as they contain one or more nitrogen-nitrogen double bonds called azo groups; under reductive conditions these azo groups can be cleaved to form primary aromatic amines, which are known carcinogens.
Eurofins | BLC test any textile, leather, and synthetic materials and products for azo dyes to the following methods:
- BS EN ISO 17234-1:2020 & BS EN ISO 17234-2:2011
- BS EN ISO 14362-1:2017 & BS EN ISO 14362-3:2017
Why you need to test for azo dyes?
Textiles and leather products (that come into contact with the skin) imported into the EU are not permitted to contain azo dyes which release certain aromatic amines. This is laid down in Annex XVII of REACH. The detectable concentrations of any of the restricted amines should not exceed 30 ppm in the finished articles or in the dyed parts thereof.
Why choose Eurofins | BLC to conduct your azo dyes testing?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 95 years’ experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications