On 19th January 2021, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) added 2x reprotoxins to the Candidate List of Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) bringing to total to 211 substances:
- Dioctyltin dilaurate, stannane, dioctyl-, bis(coco acyloxy) derivs., and any other stannane, dioctyl-, bis(fatty acyloxy) derivs. wherein C12 is the predominant carbon number of the fatty acyloxy moiety
The Candidate List forms part of the European regulation for the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH), which brands, retailers, manufacturers, distributors and suppliers are required to be compliant with for the sale and movement of goods and articles throughout the EU.
What are Reprotoxins?
Reprotoxic substances (also known as reprotoxins) are potentially harmful substances to the reproductive systems of humans and animals. They can cause direct and specific effects on sexual function and fertility for both male and female organisms.
Substances added to the Candidate List on 19 January 2021:
|#||Substance Name||EC number||CAS number||Reason for inclusion||Examples of use (s)|
|1||Bis(2-(2-methoxyethoxy)ethyl)ether||205-594-7||143-24-8||Toxic for reproduction|
(Article 57 (c))
This substance is used in articles, by professional workers (widespread uses), in formulation or re-packing, at industrial sites and in manufacturing.
|2||Dioctyltin dilaurate, stannane, dioctyl-, bis(coco acyloxy) derivs., and any other stannane, dioctyl-, bis(fatty acyloxy) derivs. wherein C12 is the predominant carbon number of the fatty acyloxy moiety||–||–||Toxic for reproduction|
(Article 57 (c))
|Not registered under REACH as a group of substances. However, one of the three group members (Dioctyltin dilaurate) is registered.|
The mono-constituent form of the substance (dioctyltin dilaurate) is used as an additive in the production of plastics and rubber tyres.
Corrigendum on 20.1.2021: The following sentence in the table: “Not registered under REACH as a group of substances. However, one of the three group members (Dioctyltin dilaurate) is registered.” was added, replacing the previous sentence “Not registered under REACH”.
Further information on these two reprotoxic substances which have been added to the Candidate List can be found here: https://echa.europa.eu/-/candidate-list-updated-with-two-chemicals-that-are-toxic-for-reproduction
How to Comply with the Candidate List and EU REACH Regulation
At Eurofins | BLC, we can help your business comply with various aspects of both UK and EU REACH regulation, including:
- Testing for SVHCs and Annex XVII substances
- Training for compliance professionals on REACH regulation
- Initial technical and regulatory support
Additional Chemical Compliance Benefits for Eurofins | BLC Members
- Discounted testing and training
- Chemical, material and product specifications
- Advanced technical and regulatory support
- Access to the REACH SVHC Risk Matrix – a useful tool developed by Eurofins | BLC to provide information on current SVHCs including the likelihood of their presence in particular materials and manufacturing processes
- Access to the BLC Guide to Managing Chemical Requirement in Product – an RSL specification developed by Eurofins | BLC for Member’s use only
Contact Us Today
If you would like to discuss your chemical testing needs, contact Eurofins | BLC today to find out how we can assist your business with chemical regulation compliance, support and advice.
Call us on +44 (0) 1604 679 999 or email email@example.com.